This policy sets out how Stories of Change uses and protects the information you give us when you use this website. The permissions you give us to use your content, and the restrictions on your reuse of our or other contributors’ content.
Stories of Change is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, it will be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Stories of Change may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from October 2016.
What we collect
Registered users on this site are required to provide a display name and contact email address. We won't share or publish your email address, it is only collected for administrative purposes. Your display name is published on the website to identify your stories and content. We may use your email address to send you further information about the Stories of Change project, but this will be rare, and you will be given the option to unsubscribe from subsequent emails.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. The cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
If you link to other websites, please ensure that you do so in compliance with that websites terms and conditions. The Open University (OU) cannot take responsibility for your illegal use of the content of others and you will make yourself liable for legal action by the site owner.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please contact us.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please email us as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Use of the Stories of Change service (hereafter “SOC”) denotes agreement with the following terms:
- SOC is provided free of charge for educational and informational use.
- The contents of SOC will be updated or otherwise modified on a regular basis. SOC reserves the right to alter or delete information without notice so please ensure you keep copies of any content you publish on our SOC site.
- All information we provide to you or which you access from the SOC site is provided to you “as-is”; and you shall hold SOC and any content or data providers supplying content or data to SOC free and harmless in connection with your use of the information.
- Users are responsible for respecting applicable copyright and license conditions for the files they upload.
- By sharing any contribution (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio) with SOC you agree to grant to The Open University (OU) and any other users of SOC, free of charge, permission to use the material in any way (including modifying and adapting it for operational and editorial reasons or for any purposes consistent with OU’s educational remit). This licence in favour of the OU is perpetual and irrevocable.
- You will retain the copyright in your contribution. The licence you grant to the OU in the preceding paragraph is not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material in any way including allowing others to use it.
- In order that SOC can use your contribution, you promise and confirm that: your contribution is your own original work, or that you have obtained the rights to this work, and that it is not defamatory and does not infringe any third party rights; that you have the right to give OU permission to use it for the purposes specified; and that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent/guardian if they are under 16. If you breach any of these promises, you are liable for legal action (including an award of damages) by the OU or any other affected Party.
- Download and use of information or material from SOC does not amount to a transfer of intellectual property to you, and the copyright in the information and material remains that of the author and/or the OU.
- Information obtained from the metadata of the SOC collection specified here may be freely reused under the CC0 waiver unless explicitly specified otherwise. With the exception of email addresses whose bulk download is not allowed all metadata of the other SOC collections are available under the CC0 waiver.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments with respect to Stories of Change; if you are unsure whether your intended use meets these terms; or, if you seek permission for use that does not fall within these terms.